Basic Bread Recipe
The perfect everyday bread.
(For 1 loaf)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 120 mL warm water, 105°F - 115°F
- 1 teaspoon active-dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 120 mL whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 - 3 cups bread flour
Discover recipes just for you
Join our community of passionate cooks for news, recipes and endless inspiration.
Get exclusive offers on KitchenAid® appliances
Looking to save on great appliances? KitchenAid offers promotions on both large and small kitchen essentials so you can get top quality for less.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Grease 8 x 4 loaf pan(s) with teaspoon olive oil.
- Rinse bowl of stand mixer with warm water to heat bowl. Pour in warm water and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Melt butter in small saucepan along with milk, honey and salt over low heat and heat until just warm – do not boil.
- Attach dough hook to KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Add warm milk mixture and 2 cups our to mixer bowl and turn to speed 2. Mix until batter-like consistency, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining our, cup at a time until dough forms a ball and clings to hook. Continue to knead dough 3 to 4 minutes on speed 2, or until smooth and elastic and slightly sticky to touch.
- On a lightly oured surface, remove dough and form into a ball. Coat large bowl lightly with teaspoon olive oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat on all sides with oil. Cover bowl with clean kitchen towel and let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. For 5 and 6 quart stand mixer, divide dough in half or in thirds. On a lightly oured surface, let dough rest 10 minutes. Lightly pat each dough ball into oval then fold dough into thirds and place into prepared loaf pan(s), seam side down. Press down slightly. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise in warm place until double in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place bread in oven and immediately reduce heat to 375°F. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack completely before slicing.